Planning to study architecture and need some extra funding? Check out these architecture scholarships on offer around the world, broken down by region…
Please note, partly because architecture is most commonly taught at postgraduate level, the majority of the scholarships below are for master’s or PhD courses. However, there are also some undergraduate awards on offer.
Architecture scholarships to study in the US and Canada
- Kate Neal Kinley Memorial Fellowship – Scholarships include an award of up to US$20,000 in architectural design, and one of up to $9,000 in art, architecture, dance, landscape architecture, theatre, or urban and regional planning for US students. Open to graduates of the College of Fine and Applied Arts of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and graduates of similar institutions of equal educational standing. These fellowships are to be used towards the costs of advanced study in the US or abroad.
- The American Institute of Architects – Various architecture scholarships available for both current undergraduates and current postgraduate students, based on academic performance.
- Yale School of Architecture – Open to both US and non-US citizens who wish to study at the Yale School of Architecture, who demonstrate financial need.
- Texas A&M University College of Architecture – Various scholarships available for current undergraduate and graduate students in the department of architecture.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois School of Architecture – A range of international/domestic scholarships to study architecture at the university.
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln College of Architecture – A range of architecture scholarships are available for both soon-to-be freshmen of the university and current students.
- University of Southern California School of Architecture – Various scholarships available for students of different backgrounds, at undergraduate and graduate level.
- Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA) Scholarship for Students of the University of Guelph – The OALA provides an award of CA$1,000 for a student who has completed the third semester of the Master of Landscape Architecture program. The recipient is selected on the basis of academic achievement, performance in design studio and leadership contributions.
Architecture scholarships to study in Europe
- ECA Taught Masters Scholarships at the University of Edinburgh – Graduate scholarships offered by the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, UK, for master’s students enrolling in the schools of architecture, art, design, history of art or music.
- Oxford Brookes University – The Hodgkinson Scholarship is available to School of Architecture applicants only, with two awards per year available to students from any country.
- PhD in Architecture Studentship at the University of Strathclyde – Studentships available to cover the home tuition fee, or international fee for many awards, as well as a maintenance grant, for up to three and a half years. All applicants should have (or expect to obtain) a first/upper second class degree in a relevant discipline and demonstrate a strong interest in pursuing research in this field.
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Wren Insurance Association Scholarships – Five scholarships worth £5,000 each are available for the 2018/19 application cycle to support outstanding students who have the potential to make a significant contribution in the field of architecture. Applicants must be enrolled in an RIBA-validated Part 2 professional qualification course in the UK and be starting their final year in September 2018.
- Architectural Association School of Architecture – Scholarships are offered to first, second and fourth year applicants who demonstrate academic excellence and financial need. All applicants to the main undergraduate course are eligible to apply for a scholarship, regardless of nationality or background.
- University of Kent Postgraduate Scholarships – Various scholarships available to study architecture at postgraduate level at the University of Kent.
- Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) School of Architecture Sir Richard Morrison Scholarship – Awards of €3,000 to support students of academic excellence in their bachelor’s degree in architecture at DIT.
- DAAD Scholarships for International Graduates in the Field of Architecture – Scholarships available for undergraduate and graduate students wishing to complete additional studies in architecture at a German university. You need to be either a US/Canadian citizen or have obtained your last degree in the US or Canada.
Architecture scholarships to study in Asia
- Nirankari Rajmata Scholarships – The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation (SNCF) offers scholarships for technical courses at postgraduate level for commendable students who have an offer of a place to study at any Indian university.
- Singapore University of Technology and Design Far East Engineering/Architecture Scholarship – Open to outstanding students from all nationalities who wish to study architecture at the university.
Architecture scholarships to study in Australia and New Zealand
- University of Queensland, Master of Architecture Scholarship – Scholarships are available to outstanding international students wishing to study a Master of Architecture at the University of Queensland.
- University of New South Wales Architecture Scholarships – Various postgraduate and travel scholarships to study architecture at the University of New South Wales (UNSW).
- University of Sydney Architecture Scholarships – A range of scholarships to study architecture at undergraduate or postgraduate level at the University of Sydney, some of which may only be open to domestic students.
- University of Auckland David Howell Master of Architecture (Professional) Scholarship – Available to New Zealand citizens or permanent residents only, this scholarship is awarded to full-time students starting their first year of the Master of Architecture (Professional) course at the University of Auckland. The scholarship is awarded based on academic merit and financial need.
- Unitec Institute of Technology Fred Tschopp Landscape Architecture Scholarship – Worth one full year’s tuition fees, this scholarship is awarded based on candidates’ potential in landscape architecture and potential to fulfil the legacy of landscape architect Fred Tschopp Snr. To apply, you’ll need to submit a portfolio and two-page written statement.
Architecture scholarships to study anywhere in the world
- ACI Foundation Graduate Scholarships for International Students – Scholarships of US$3000-$5000 are available for graduates who wish to study an engineering, architecture or material science postgraduate program. Applications are accepted from anywhere in the world, but the graduate program must be recognized/accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year will open in summer 2018.