As future creators of railway lines, waterways, roads and space shuttles, to name some of the first things that spring to mind, engineering students are crucial to the development of society. To support this future contribution, universities and other organizations offer plenty of engineering scholarships and fellowships.
In recent years, scholarships for engineering students, as well as other STEM scholarships for mathematics, technology and science students, have become more recognized and plentiful in number, allowing many more prospective STEM students to achieve their educational and career ambitions.
Below is a list of current engineering and other STEM scholarships from around the world, to help you find the funding you need. If you want to study architecture, we’ve also listed architecture scholarships, and we have a separate list of scholarships to study at the top 10 mechanical engineering schools, based on the QS University Rankings by Subject.
- Malaysia International Scholarships (MIS) – International scholarships funded by the Malaysian government and awarded to incoming students at Malaysian universities. Priority given to science and engineering students.
- NTU University Engineering Scholarship – Scholarships for undergraduate engineering students at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. Only open to Singapore citizens or permanent residents.
- NUS Science & Technology Undergraduate Scholarship – A scholarship for outstanding undergraduate students from all Asian countries excluding Singapore, which covers tuition fees, compulsory fees, living costs and more. No separate application is required.
- Université Catholique de Louvain International Lhoist Berghmans Master Scholarship – Five merit-based scholarships are available per year for international students to study a master’s degree in engineering at the university (PDF file). The university also offers Incentive Scholarshipsfor exchange students from partner universities.
- TU Delft Excellence Scholarships – Scholarship opportunities for geosciences and civil engineering students studying at master’s level at TU Delft in the Netherlands.
- Arkwright Engineering Scholarships – UK registered charity awarding scholarships to high-achieving first-year engineering students in the UK.
- IET Awards and Scholarships – Various undergraduate and postgraduate engineering scholarships funded by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and awarded to UK engineering students.
- IME Scholarships and Awards – Mechanical engineering scholarships awarded to UK students of all degree levels from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Imperial College London PhD Scholarships in Chemical Engineering – Fully funded scholarships for outstanding engineering students.
- NI Engineering Scholarship Program – Scholarships for engineering students, computer science students and physics students. Sponsored by National Instruments and open to UK students.
- QMUL Queen Mary Global Excellence Scholarships – Various UK scholarships for international students to study engineering at Queen Mary University of London in the UK.
- QUEST Undergraduate Scholarships from ICE – UK scholarships for civil engineering students on any ICE-accredited degree program in the UK. Sponsored by the UK Institution of Civil Engineers.
- University of Manchester Engineering Scholarships – Various scholarships to study engineering at undergraduate level at the University of Manchester, for both domestic and international students.
- University of Strathclyde Engineering Scholarships – Wide selection of UK scholarships for engineering students studying at the University of Strathclyde in Scotland, UK.
- Women’s Engineering Society Awards – Various scholarships for women studying engineering in the UK. To find more scholarships for women in male-dominated industries, visit this article.
- AACE International Scholarships – STEM scholarships for full-time students completing a degree in engineering or another STEM subject. Separate funds available for US, Canadian and international students.
- AFCEA San Diego Scholarship Program – Various scholarships for engineering students, as well as those studying mathematics or science, to study anywhere in the US. Only available to students from San Diego County in California.
- AICHE John J McKetta Undergraduate Scholarship – Chemical engineering scholarships for US students, offered by AICHE, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- ANS Scholarships – STEM scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate US students, with a particular focus on students studying nuclear engineering. Funded by the American Nuclear Society (ANS).
- ASCE Samuel Fletcher Tapman Student Chapter Scholarship – Civil engineering scholarships open to undergraduate students in the US and sponsored by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- ASHRAE Undergraduate Engineering Scholarships – Various science and engineering scholarships for incoming full-time students at accredited US institutions. Funded by ASHRAE, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers.
- ASME Mechanical Engineering Scholarships – Mechanical engineering scholarships for students at all degree levels within the US and outside. Students must be members of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Engineers Foundation of Ohio Engineering Scholarships – US scholarships for incoming engineering students residing in Ohio, US.
- Ford Motor Company Tribal Scholars Program – Mathematics, science, business and engineering scholarships for Native American students studying at undergraduate or graduate level at mainstream US universities or tribal colleges.
- IIE Scholarships and Fellowships – Scholarships for engineering students studying at IIE-accredited universities in the US. Funded by the IIE (Institute of Industrial Engineers) and open to US students of all degree levels.
- National GEM Consortium Fellowships – Graduate fellowships and scholarships for engineering students studying at PhD or master’s level at a GEM Member University in the US.
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) Scholarships – Engineering scholarships for US students at all degree levels from the NSPE.
- NEWWA Scholarships – US scholarships from NEWWA (New England Water Works Association), open to engineering students studying at universities in New England in the US.
- North Dakota NASA Space Grant Consortium – STEM scholarships available for students pursuing science, technology, engineering and other related subjects which support NASA research and hiring needs. Students must be based in and studying in North Dakota at selected institutions.
- Oregon NASA Space Grant Consortium – STEM scholarships as above, but aimed at students based within the state of Oregon.
- SME Education Foundation Scholarships – Various STEM scholarships for US students at all degree levels.
- SWE Scholarship Program – Scholarships for women in engineering studying in the US. Funded by the Society of Women Engineers (SWE).
- TMS Student Academic Scholarships – Scholarships from TMS, (The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society) open to US students studying metallurgical engineering and related programs at both undergraduate and graduate level.
- Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States Scholarship Program – Merit-based graduate scholarships for engineering students and other STEM students to study at selected institutions in the US.
- Australia APEC Women in Research Fellowships – Aims to raise the profile of female role-models in STEM subjects with merit-based scholarships available to pursue research opportunities in partnership with Australian institutions. To be eligible, you must be from one of the eligible Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) countries.
- Edna Waddell Undergraduate Scholarships for Women in Technology and Engineering – Scholarships for women to study engineering and technology degrees at universities in New Zealand. Only open to New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
- Energy Education Trust Undergraduate and Honours Scholarships – 15 scholarships for five participating New Zealand universities are available, to assist undergraduate and honors students with their full-time studies in the fields of science, economics and engineering, provided you have a specific interest in the energy needs of New Zealand.
- Amelia Earhart fellowship – Scholarships for women in engineering studying for a doctorate or PhD in aerospace and engineering programs. More scholarships for women in male-dominated industries can be found here.
- Schlumberger Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowships – Postgraduate scholarships for women in engineering, science and other STEM-related studies at universities worldwide. Funded by the Schlumberger Foundation.