New Zealand is a very appealing study destination for many – with great universities, high quality of life and stunning scenery, as well as a strong higher education system which has been ranked 16th in the most recent QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings. Studying in New Zealand can be on the expensive side, but luckily there are a number of New Zealand scholarships available to help…
Government-funded New Zealand scholarships:
- Fulbright New Zealand US Graduate Awards – Scholarships for students from the US to study a postgraduate or research program in any field at a university in New Zealand. Covers tuition, living costs, airfares and more.
- New Zealand Foreign Affairs and Trade Scholarships – Various scholarships at all study levels are available for students from various countries in the Pacific and South-East Asia. They are fully funded, covering tuition fees, a fortnightly living allowance and other expenses.
- New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships – Provides a stipend covering full tuition fees and living expenses for up to three years for international students enrolled in a PhD program at a university in New Zealand. Awarded based on academic excellence.
University-specific New Zealand Scholarships:
- Auckland University of Technology (AUT) – Various scholarships for international students to study at the university.
- Lincoln University – The university’s scholarship database allows you to look for scholarships for your particular subject and study level.
- Massey University Doctoral Scholarship – Scholarships for both domestic and international students to study a doctorate at the university.
- Southern Institute of Technology – Scholarships for international students to study at the Southern Institute of Technology.
- University of Auckland International Student Scholarships – Various scholarships are available to study at the University of Auckland at all study levels.
- University of Canterbury – A range of scholarships for international students – you can personalize the results with the search tool.
- University of Otago – Various postgraduate-level scholarships to study at the university.
- University of Waikato – Scholarships such as the International Excellence Scholarship, which is based on academic merit and available for students of all study levels; and the Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship, for students from the South Pacific (excluding Australia and New Zealand) who demonstrate financial need.
- Victoria University of Wellington – A range of scholarships aimed at international students, including the Latin American Academic Achievement Scholarship, which supports high-achieving Latin American students who have gained a place on a bachelor or master’s degree at the university.
Other New Zealand scholarships:
- AusIMM New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust Scholarships – Undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for students enrolled in a New Zealand university on a course related to minerals.
- Barbara Wood Memorial Foundation – Scholarships for students from the South Pacific to study in New Zealand or another country in the South Pacific.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan – Scholarships for Canadian students to study a doctorate in any discipline at a university in New Zealand.
- Go Overseas Study Abroad Scholarship – Five scholarships worth up to US$15,000 are available for undergraduate and postgraduate students from the US and Europe to study at an eligible university in New Zealand.
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand University Scholarships – Scholarships for students of economics, finance or banking at honors, master’s or PhD level and studying full time. Open to international students, provided they can legally work in New Zealand (the scholarship includes an offer of employment at the Reserve Bank after you’ve gained your qualification; if you do not accept this offer, you’ll need to repay the scholarship).
- R. H. T. Bates Postgraduate Scholarship – A scholarship for a domestic or international student enrolled on a doctorate in physical sciences and engineering at any university in New Zealand.